One of the best part of reflexology and acupressure technique is that they be self-administered.You can relief symptoms without having to wait for an appointment or touching sensitive areas where you are experiencing pain.
Acupressure and Reflexology
- Acupressure and acupuncture work on the same principles without the intimidation factor. Acupuncture uses needles while acupressure uses fingers providing moderate pressure.
- Reflexology is the use of therapeutic pressure massage in specific areas of our hands and feet to facilitate functional flow of energy and pain relief.
- Acupressure.is sometimes confused with acupuncture.
- Acupressure uses fingers providing moderate pressure while acupuncture uses needles.
Here we present you combined approaches of these two practices that you can use:
Migraines and Headaches
Acupressure and acupuncture work on the same principles without the intimidation factor. Acupuncture uses needles while acupressure uses fingers providing moderate pressure.
Sinus Pressure and Pain
Face palm towards you and bring your thumb to the pad of your finger and forefinger to the opposite side close to your cuticle. Squeeze and hold the tip of each finger for 1-3 minutes, then press firmly. After this, lightly massage the area. You need to do the same on every finger.
Tension and Pain in the Neck
Begin by massaging the middle part between the knuckle at the top toward the base of the finger. Do this on every finger on both hands.
Warm up your thumb by massaging it. This will respond to the stomach and spleen meridians. Also, for this health condition you can press directly in the center of your palm.
CONTINUED ON NEXT PAGE
Cold or Sore Throat
Massage the entire thumb and warm it. You can apply pressure for a longer period on the meaty part of the web of your hand. Apply specific pressure to the thumb on the tissue to the inside by the nail.
Massage the whole hand with a gentle pressure. After the massage, press directly the point on your middle finger just below and on the side of your nail on the side closest toward the index finger.
Menstrual Cramps or Abdominal Pain
1. Start by massaging your hands (massage can help boost the energy and sensitivity of your hands).2. Then, using your opposite thumb and fingers press directly on the point on your index finger just below and on the side of your nail on the side closest to the thumb.3. You also need to press a point on your small finger just away from the nail on the cuticle line toward the outside.4. Keep the pressure – hold it for 1-5 minutes. Then start slowly massaging in small clockwise circles up to five times.5. Repeat this process 1-5 times as needed. You can repeat this each day to prevent abdominal pain!
Note: One of the best tips from massage therapists and body workers is staying hydrated. It is very important because adequate hydration offers quality circulation and helps in toxins removal from the bloodstream.
Important: While pregnant, you need to avoid deep pressure to the web of the hand. This practice should also be avoided, if you are not in labor and supervised by a professional MT because there are areas that can support stimulating uterine contractions.